Job Title: Legislative Advocacy Liaison Officer (LALO)
Job Location: Abuja
Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the position has responsibility for ensuring smooth legislative programme engagements by CISLAC with the legislature and other relevant government agencies both at national and state levels. In collaboration with other Programme Managers, the position will help to identify and define issues relating to key governance issues and coordinate necessary analysis, and participate in the formulation and implementation of legislative advocacy engagement approaches and strategies.
The Legislative Advocacy Liaison Officer (LALO) will assist in the development and implementation of legislative programmes of CISLAC. The position will also be responsible for developing and maintaining contact with members and staff of the National and State Legislatures, key line Ministries, Department and Parastatals, and other national and international advocacy organizations and agencies that are focused on legislative issues.
The position will identify bills of interest to CISLAC, assess and prepare written material related to legislative and policy matters, including bill position correspondence; briefing documents; issue updates; and articles for CISLAC’s legislative engagements including publications. The Officer will assist in providing legal support to CISLAC.
- Serve as one of the main contact for CISLAC’s Legislative Advocacy engagements at National and state levels.
- Monitor and provide basic analysis on key legislation to determine its policy and fiscal implications.
iii. Assess and provide information that enhances CISLAC’s legislative engagement platform and awareness creation on emerging development issues.
- Develop and maintain working relationships with members of the legislature, legislative staff and committees, executive branch representatives including staff of key ministries, department and parastatals, associations and advocacy organizations/advocates on specific subject matters and policy issues.
- Work with key civil society groups, education associations/advocates, as well as representatives of employee organizations and other related organizations, to build legislative coalitions.
- Assist in the coordination of expertise to review key legislative and policy issues.
vii. Initiate and coordinate bill tracking system.
- Liaise with the Information and Communication Department to develop an Annual Report on all issues bothering on CISLAC’s engagement on Legislative Issues at the end of the year.
- Engage in proactive fund-raising activities on your area of Legislative Advocacy and find new frontiers for fund mobilization for institutional sustainability.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher qualifications, preferably in law, political science, public policy or other related fields, with three to five years of experience in the above field(s).
- Ability to effectively communicate (both verbally and in writing) and analyze state and national trends, issues, and political developments in Nigeria.
- General knowledge of the organization, functions, process and procedures of Nigerian government (legislature).
- Knowledge of current public education and health policy issues and concerns in Nigeria
- Ability to analyze, evaluate and respond to legislative and regulatory proposals, complex data, and other information on health issues and social sector.
- Ability to create and present effective and persuasive presentations on controversial or complex topics to governmental leaders, public groups and civil society groups in a timely manner, often on short notice.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills that require diplomacy, cooperation, judgment and tact.
Period of engagement:
The contract is valid for the period of one (1) year.
Application Submission Procedure:
Applications must include: (1) cover letter, (2) resume, (3) a writing sample of no more than three (3) pages, and (4) three references. Applications must be received no later than 5.00pm on Friday, 12th October 2018.
Applications should be sent to email@example.com with the subject: Legislative Advocacy Liaison Officer (LALO)
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.