VACANCY: Position of Program OfficerCISLAC Admin
Application Deadline: 18th February 2016
Type of Contract : Annually renewable contract
Languages Required : English (Yoruba and/or Hausa is an advantage)
Starting Date : 1st week of March
CISLAC is a non-governmental, non-profit legislative advocacy, information sharing and research organization. CISLAC works towards bridging the gap between the legislature and the electorate, by enhancing campaign and advocacy strategies; engagement of bills before their passage into law; manpower development for law makers, legislative aides, politicians and the civil society, as well as civic education on the tenets of democracy and Human Rights promotion. CISLAC undertake activities related to capacity strengthening, advocacy, policy analysis, citizen’s education and mobilization, civil society networks and coalition enhancement. CISLAC seeks to promote transparency, accountability, good governance and anti-corruption efforts among multiple stakeholders in the areas of public finance management, revenue mobilization, including tax justice and extractive revenue management.
CISLAC is presently engaged in a project know as Partnership for Advocacy in Child and Family Health in Nigeria. The objective of the grant is to increase the capacity of CSOs to work in partnership to advocate for child and family health commitment from government of Nigeria at national and 7 states – Kano, Kaduna, Bauchi, Lagos, Oyo, Nasarawa & Niger. CISLAC’s mandate within the project is to engage with both state and national legislators, CSOs and media to create awareness on child and family health components such as routine immunization, family planning, nutrition and Pneumonia & diarrhea. The project will undertake capacity development for legislators, civil society & media, policy/issue engagement with relevant government agencies and civic awareness. The multiple dimensions of the various engagement require technical and result oriented monitoring and evaluation to ensure impact, result and value for money.
The Program Officer will be under the operational and direct supervision of the Program Director. The Program Officer will contribute to program planning, designing and implementation to ensure adherence to CISLAC/PACFaH standards and international best practices. Throughout the life of the program, s/he will be responsible for cross-cutting programmatic information management within the framework of the program, ensuring that information collected is reflected upon, used for continuous improvement of ongoing programs, and is incorporated into consistently high quality reports. S/he will have responsibility for leading research efforts, networking with research agencies, documenting project impacts, and capacity building.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop, operationalize and revise project work plans to ensure that activities are carried out as and when scheduled.
- Maintain constant communication with the CISLAC/PACFaH members to ensure effective coordination in the legislative advocacy engagement of the PACFaH Project.
- Establish and maintain strategic relationships with policy makers, opinion makers, civil society organizations, media, PACFaH partners and other relevant partners in Nigeria.
- Provide leadership, coordinate and implement all pragmatic activities related to the project.
- Prepare the project management systems for portfolio review snap devaluation.
- Plan, organize and coordinate project capacity building events.
- Produce activity and periodic report.
- Review and establish improved mechanisms, guidelines and operating principles for project management.
- Establish an effective information management system.
- Skills and Requirements
- A good degree in Humanities, Social Sciences or related field.
- Masters degree in Public Health or other relevant field will be an added advantage.
- At least 3 years work experience in development programming with particular reference to child and family health.
- Evidence of completion of National Youth Service.
- Commitment to social justice and organization mission and vision.
- Sound and informed knowledge of development economics and familiar with policy framework and analysis in Nigeria.
- A proven experience in writing policy briefs, commissioning policy reports and advocacy will be desirable.
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standard and commitment to diversity in the work place.
- Result oriented with a strong commitment to get the job done on time and with the highest professional standards.
- Must have a high capacity for independent effort but at the same time be able to delegate responsibilities effectively.
- Ability to think analytically and strategically, and express ideas in a clear and articulate fashion
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills and proficient in Microsoft Office suite.
How to Apply
Application should be submitted to CISLAC via:
Flat 3, No. 16 P.O.W Mafemi Crescent Off Solomon Lar Way,
Behind Chida Hotel, Near Daily Trust Newspapers Office,
Utako District, Abuja – Nigeria