Application Deadline: 20th April, 2018
Type of Contract: Annually renewable contract
Languages Required: English
Starting Date: 27th of April, 2018
Civil Society Legislative Advocacy Centre (CISLAC) is a non-governmental, non-profit legislative advocacy, information sharing and research organization that is currently a Transparency International (TI) in Nigeria. CISLAC works towards bridging the gap between the legislature and the electorate, by enhancing campaign and advocacy strategies; engagement of bills before their passage into law; manpower development for law makers, legislative aides, politicians and the civil society, as well as civic education on the tenets of democracy and Human Rights promotion. CISLAC undertakes activities related to capacity strengthening, advocacy, policy analysis, citizen’s education and mobilization, civil society networks and coalition enhancement. CISLAC seeks to promote transparency, accountability, good governance and anti-corruption efforts among multiple stakeholders in the areas of public finance management, revenue mobilization, including tax justice and extractive revenue management.
The organization is seeking a qualified candidate to fill a senior vacant position that currently exist in the Finance team as described below:
Position: Head of Finance Unit
The position will be under the operational and direct supervision of the Executive Director. S/he will provide leadership for the organization’s finance team in the area of budgets development, and reporting, maintenance of the organization’s financial systems and processes as well as provide support and guidance to the organization’s logistics and procurement team.
Required skills and competence:
- A minimum of Bachelor’s degree in accounting and financial management. A master’s degree will be an added advantage.
- Must be chartered
- A minimum of 3-5 years relevant experience in the development sector (specifically NGO).
- Good knowledge of accounting packages especially QuickBooks and Microsoft excel
- Familiar with processes of donor community such as MacArthur Foundation, Ford Foundation, Transparency International, DFID, USAID, OXFAM. European Union (EU), etc.
- Good knowledge of procurement process
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Planning and Budgeting
- Ensure that appropriate finance systems are maintained, and that all finance policies, procedures and controls are implemented
- Set up financial systems to meet donor contract requirement and obligations
- Support Program team to review donor contract and assess conditions
- Support program team to review project budgets and accounts to donors
- Prepare and share with the Executive Director, CISLAC annual phased budget in line with the 5 years strategy
- Transaction processing
- Prepare monthly management reports (including variances) at the end of each month.
- Monitor the funding situation, and prepare the funding grid at the end of each month.
- Ensure that all transactions are properly accounted for and documented
- Review payroll, and other payments before necessary approvals
- Cash and Bank Management
- Prepare the monthly financial accounting reports, at the end of each month, and submit them to the ED by the second week of the following month.
- Manage bank accounts, and the transfer of money between head-office and field offices
- Monitor cash flow, and ensure that sufficient funds are always available for project activities.
- Support the program team to prepare and comply with donor reporting framework and timetable
- Ensure all purchases are made according to donor procurement requirements
- Support Program team to submit claims for income from donor
- Support Program team to manage donor funded budgets and monitor income & expenditure, including commitments
- Submit financial reports to donors as per reporting schedule
- Ensure project reports reconcile with the CISLAC financial accounts in QuickBooks
- Ensure successful completion of any internal or external audit, including tax audit
- Coordinate respond to any financial queries from staff, donors and other key government stakeholders such as tax authorities.
- Capacity Building and Development
- Continue to develop improvements in the finance system, as necessary
- Train new and existing staff to be aware of all donor grant conditions
- Manage and develop all finance staff
How to Apply
Application should be submitted on or before 20th April, 2018 to CISLAC via:
Email: email@example.com with position “HEAD OF FINANCE UNIT” clearly stated in the subject area of the mail.
No. 16, House 3, P.O.W Mafemi Crescent off Solomon Lar Way,
Behind Chida Hotel, Near Daily Trust Newspapers Office,
Utako District, Abuja – Nigeria