COMMUNIQUÉ ISSUED AT THE END OF A ONE DAY CONSULTATIVE MEETING BY STATE OF THE UNION NIGERIA CAMPAIGN PLATFORM (SOTU-N-CAMP) TO STRENGTHEN SOTU-N-CAMP’S ENGAGEMENT ON CITIZEN’S PARTICIPATION IN POLICY DEVELOPMENT, IMPLEMENTATION AND MONITORING OF AFRICAN UNION (AU) INSTRUMENTS WITHIN THE COUNTRY HELD ON THE 17TH OF DECEMBER 2013 AT THE LAGOS AIRPORT HOTEL, IKEJA.CISLAC Admin
State of the Union Nigeria Campaign Platform (SOTU-N-CAMP) with support from the Civil Society Legislative Advocacy Centre (CISLAC) organized a One Day Consultative Meeting with the aim of Strengthening SOTU-N-CAMPs engagement in Citizen’s Participation in Policy Development, Implementation and Monitoring of African Union (AU) Instruments within the Country. The meeting had in attendance SOTU-N-CAMP member organisations and media representatives.
The meeting amongst other things articulated strategies for carrying on the organizational work and further strengthening engagements of SOTU-N-CAMP in line with the 14 key SOTU instruments and Policy Standards as well as development of a Strategic Plan and Membership Form.
During the consultation members observed as follows:
- Inconsistency in the use of acronym of the platform; hence, the acronym to be used should be “SOTU-N-CAMP”.
- Over time, AU and SOTU related issues have been largely under reported and thus suffer adequate visibility.
- Capacity deficiency in SOTU-N-CAMP to engage in the different AU instruments and policy standards.
- Lack of provision in the governance structure to manage eventualities that may arise such as the exit of the SOTU-N-CAMP focal person from a member organization.
- In subsequent SOTU-N-CAMP Meetings, the Chairman or a representative that is competent and conversant with SOTU issues should be present; and subsequently, there should be uniformity in the use of SOTU-N-CAMP’s acronym and every official communication and documentation should carry “SOTUN-CAMP” as a consistent acronym.
- All member organizations should engage relevant institutions in their activities in other to promote implementation of the AU instruments and Policy Standards as well as increase media engagements.
- To engage better, capacity building of the different organizations working across the various SOTU instruments and policy standards should be given a priority.
- A steering committee manual should be developed by the Secretariat and presented to the house at a general session for approval that will guide the steering committee in carrying out its functions as well as make provision to guide against the exit of the SOTU-N-CAMP focal person in an organization providing membership at the Steering Committee level.
CISLAC and SOTU-N-CAMP thanked members for participating in the meeting and making valuable contributions that are capable of moving the platform forward. CISLAC and SOTUN-CAMP implore organizations to intensify programming in a way that will popularize and foster the implementation of the different AU instruments and protocols. Participants also called for more efficient and proper management of the list serve to ensure information sharing amongst members of the platform.