DECISION ON THE HUMANITARIAN SITUATION IN AFRICA AT TWENTY-FIFTH ORDINARY SESSION 20-24 JUNE 2014 OF THE AFRICAN UNION IN HELD MALABO, EQUITORIAL GUINEACISLAC Admin
The Executive Council,
- TAKES NOTE of the Report of the PRC Sub-Committee of Refugees and the attached annex of the Report of the Commission on the Humanitarian Situation in Africa;
- EXPRESSES CONCERN over the large number of refugees and internally displaced persons in Africa caused mainly by recurrent conflicts and natural disasters on the Continent;
- EXPRESSES GRATITUDE to countries of asylum that continue to meet their international obligations and commit themselves to extent hospitality to refugees;
- RECOGNIZES the commendable work done by AU Partners and other relevant humanitarian agencies in the area of forced displacement and URGES them to continue addressing the humanitarian situation on the Continent;
- APPEALS to the international community to exert all efforts to extent the financial and material assistance to the forcibly displaced population in the spirit of solidarity and burden sharing.
- COMMENDS the concrete steps taken so far by the Africa Union, IGAD, the UN System, and other development partners in taking early action to the looming humanitarian crisis and complex emergency in the Horn of Africa Region and in particular Somalia where millions are affected by conflicts, food insecurity, droughts, and famine;
- WELCOME the announcement by the UN Secretary General on the World Humanitarian Summit schedule to take place in 2016, in Istanbul, Turkey;
- the Commission in close collaboration with the PRC Sub-Committee on Refugees to engage Member State in a Political Process, while ensuring participation in the ‘Technical Process’ being organized by UNOCHA to establish an African Position that will be presented at the World Humanitarian Summit;
- the Commission to continuously make a progress report to the Executive Council at each Ordinary Summit leading up to the World Humanitarian Summit.
- INVITES all Members States to actively participate in the Specialized Technical Committee Meeting on Migration, Refugees and Internal Displaced Persons, schedule to take place in Abuja, Nigeria later this year and REQUESTS the Commission to report on the outcome of this meeting to the Executive Council during the next Heads of State Summit in January 2015.