Civil Society Legislative Advocacy Centre (CISLAC) organized a one day Town Hall Meeting on Educating Legislators on Oversight Function on Maternal Health with support from Mac Arthur Foundation. The meeting drew over 20 participants from Kano State House of Assembly, civil society and the media. The meeting featured Mallam Dalhatu Yola and Chioma Blessing Kanu as the lead presenters and other discussants. After exhaustive deliberations on various thematic issues, the following observations and recommendations were made:
- Legislature remains a key component in galvanizing efforts toward implementing and achieving MDGs and improving maternal health.
- The need to improve awareness creation and knowledge sharing on the legislative oversight on MDGs and maternal health among relevant Committees.
- Immediate need for action plan to promote effective implementation and timely achievement of the MDGs and maternal health in Kano State.
- Lack of provision for free MNCH in the existing Primary Health Care Law of Kano State.
- Inadequate working equipment, personnel and facilities have threatened effective service delivery in some Primary Health Care centres across the State.
- Inadequate understanding of maternal and child health issues has challenged effective functionality of the existing EMC groups in some local governments.
- Workshop report writing to the management of Kano State House of Assembly to provide feedback and prompt the formation of MDGs caucus.
- Awareness creation and increase knowledge by the House among relevant Special and Standing Committees in Kano State House of Assembly through effective capacity building to enhance legislative productivity as related to MDGs.
- Prompt formation of MDGs caucus by the House to fast-track effective implementation of MDGs and increase coordination among the relevant committees on oversight functions.
- Constructive effort by the Kano State House of Assembly Committee on Health to propose appropriate amendment of the Primary Health Care Management Law to provide for effective free MNCH.
- Adequate working equipment, personnel, facilities and EOC services in all Primary Health Care Centres in the State through improved legislative oversight on the State Ministry of Health and Local Government.
- Increased community involvement, donor interest and media advocacy on maternal and child health in the State.
The participants expressed their appreciation to CISLAC for convening the town hall meeting and to Mac Arthur Foundation for providing the support to this all important program channeled towards the realization of MDGs with special focus on maternal and child health as well as increased knowledge amongst stakeholders. The State Government strongly continuous supports the initiative of promoting MDGs and maternal health. Participants further developed two different work plans to accelerate the effective implementation of MDGs and achieving maternal health in Kano State.
Auwal Ibrahim Musa (Rafsanjani)
Executive Director, CISLAC
Alhassan M. Garba
Secretary, Kano State House of Assembly Committee on Basic Education
Garba M. Kadawa
Secretary, Kano State House of Assembly Committee on Education