Call for ToR for Consultancy: ANALYSING AND DISTILLING ANTI-CORRUPTION REPORTS FROM THE MEDIACISLAC Admin
TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR CONSULTANCY
TITLE: ANALYSING AND DISTILLING ANTI-CORRUPTION REPORTS FROM THE MEDIA
The Civil Society Legislative Advocacy Centre (CISLAC), as National Contact of Transparency International in Nigeria wish to engage the services of consultants to conduct a desk review on the above subject matter. The consultants are to work in collaboration with CISLAC staff in this regard on information coming out from verifiable media reports on anti-corruption including that of MacArthur Foundation’s support for journalism which is expected to increase the spate and quality of corruption investigations by the media.
The consultancy is within the project “Strengthening Legislative Accountability and Anti-Corruption Mechanisms” (SLAAM) in Nigeria with financial support from MacArthur Foundation. The work of the consultants’ would be to synthesize investigative reports of corruption from journalists with a view of using the report to engage the relevant committees of the National Assembly to carry out legislative oversight responsibilities over the Executive. Where the reports spoke to corruption within the legislature, such reports will be made available to the leadership of the National Assembly.
CISLAC was incorporated as a corporate body (CAC/IT/NO22738) with the Nigeria’s Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) on the 28th December 2006. Prior to this incorporation, however, CISLAC had actively been engaged in legislative advocacy work since 2005.
The objectives of this exercise is to:
- Analyse select newspaper reports and distill the system’s weakness (gaps) and opportunities for corruption.
- Develop an agenda for improved oversight and for pushing the bar on accountability in public sector operations.
Nature of Work:
The consultants will reflect technical expertise to facilitate a knowledge product that generates issues for advocacy. The work of the Consultants will be to synthesize investigative reports of corruption from journalists with a view of presenting the report to relevant committees of the National Assembly for informed legislative oversight responsibilities over the Executive.
This content design will draw out key issues that will be validated with stakeholders drawn from relevant states actors with anti-corruption mandate and non-state actors focused on anti-corruption issues. The analysis is later published for purpose of policy engagement at state and national levels to interrogate stakeholders and actors in the governance space. This is all geared towards CISLAC’s objectives to address certain gaps in the project to promote legislative actions on corruption investigations in order to improve accountability and anti-corruption in Nigeria’s public sector.
Scope of Work
The Consultants shall work with CISLAC’s Program Manager Democratic Governance and his team to achieve the underlined scope of work.
- Review data of newspaper reports already collected by CISLAC and other sources that the Consultant may find useful.
- Review and analyse the media reports from various media sources within first six months covering the period August 2017 to January 2018.
- Recommend key actions or reforms needed at vertical and horizontal levels
- Prepare info graphics and data relevant for illustration of the frequencies of the corruption cases as it was reported by the various media sources at the validation meeting;
- Include at least three case studies to illustrate the failure of legislative oversight in Accountability and Public Sector Operations
- Include at least three case studies to illustrate the progress in oversight in accountability and public sector operations
- Prepare and deliver an analysed and distilled anti-corruption reports that are fit for publication.
The report of this consultancy will be led by the Lead Consultant, and two other consultants respectively will serve as team members on the consultancy.
Work in collaboration with and guidance of the Programme Manager (Democratic Governance) of CISLAC who is managing the project.
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and copy email@example.com with the subject line “TOR FOR CONSULTANCY: AADACRFTM”. The deadline for submission to this call is 14th September 2018.
Auwal Ibrahim Musa (Rafsanjani)